In this article, you'll get a quick tour of the software interface. There are more in-depth articles on how to work with each element here.
- Design screen
- Pattern View
- Stitch View
- Option columns
After clicking the 'Create new design' button, this screen appears.
At the top, you see a black bar that holds the following buttons (from left to right):
- "Undo" and "Redo" buttons (Ctr+Z or Cmd+Z/Ctr+Y or Cmd+y)
- A folder icon, to exit the current design and go back to the home page
- A cell to enter the name of the current design
- A "Duplicate" button, to make a copy of the current design (to be found on the home page)
- A "Save" button, to save the progress of the current design
- Two browser tabs: "Pattern" and "Stitch", to work on the two aspects of your design
- A "Knit!" button, to compile and export your design
- Your account avatar at the right end.
The big yellow square in the middle is the current panel that you are designing.
The two crossing lines indicate the position of the cursor. When the cursor hovers in one location for 2 seconds an information box pops up which tells you the location (stitch, row), which yarn is used in the front and rear, and which stitch is made in the front and rear.
At the bottom middle, there are two buttons for zooming in and out. The home button resets the zoom settings and centers your piece.
On the left-hand side, you can see 2 boxes with different elements:
- Marquee tool
- Move (Space bar + click and drag)
- Drawing tools (Pencil, line, rectangle)
- Import image
- Yarn feeders/Colour selection
When working in Stitch-view, the Yarn toolbox with be switched for the Stitch toolbox: the Stitch Selector, with which you can composite stitches. Read more about how to use stitches here.
On the left side, there's another toolbar with buttons that open different dialogue boxes:
- View: Allows you to change between the front and rear views of your design.
- Template: In the Template panel, you can adjust your piece's dimensions and stitch settings.
- Jacquard: shows the different options you have for the back of your jacquard
- Actions: A complete action menu to add start/ bindoff sequences to your design, check for errors, load or download buck files, and more.
- Scripts: rarely used.
- Settings: to set different view options
When you are in the Pattern browser tab you will be able to import images or use the drawing tools to create a design. You will find more specific information on these features here.
In stitch view, you design the stitch pattern of your piece. The colors you see on the canvas don’t represent the yarn colors, each color represents a different type of action and is accompanied by a stitch symbol. Read more about how to use stitches here.
When zoomed in, in Stitch View, as well as the individual stitches becoming visible, the option columns pop up on the left. In these columns, you can set the racking, speed, takedown and stitch size for your knitting.