The bind-off is one of the techniques that you can use to cast off your knitted piece. Similar to casting off in hand knitting or manual machine knitting, you knit stitches together from one side to the other until all stitches are secured. In machine knitting, it is done as follows:
- Knit the first stitch.
- Transfer the stitch to the other bed.
- Move the back bed to align the transferred stitch with the second stitch.
- Transfer the first stitch onto the same needle as the second stitch.
- Knit the second stitch and repeat from step 2.
These steps are produced automatically by your Kniterate machine when you use the bind-off module. Use the bind-off module to finish a scarf or blanket for example.
Add the bind-off after you finished your design. Adding it before you have finished your design, limits the use of modules.
- In the Stitches panel, click the bind-off button.
- A menu will pop up where you select the feeder you want to use for the bind-off.
The bind-off will make the very last row of your knitting. Make sure to choose a feeder that works well for your design. For example, if you are knitting mostly with yarn feeder 3, then select yarn feeder 3 for the cast-on row. This way the end blends in with the rest of the knitting.
- Click continue and the start will be added to your design automatically. You may want to change the stitch size of the newly added stitches depending on your yarn.
Bind-off module in Stitches view
Bind-off module in Stitches view detail
Bind-off module in Pattern view